Think of our classes as a cultural conversation – but you’re speaking and listening in Italian. All done with lots of encouragement, humor (yes, there’s lots of laughter in our classes), and lots of mistakes.
Each class has a conversational theme – fashion, food, or current events in Italy – based on a simple piece of reading in Italian handed out the previous week. The first part of our conversation covers new vocabulary from the reading followed by a conversation about the topic with the goal of encouraging you to communicate your thoughts and ideas “off the cuff” in Italian.
- Classes are small. They’re semi-private with only 3-7 students per class, designed to allow each student plenty of attention and speaking time.
- Classes are conversational. You’re encouraged to engage in several conversational situations each week. Mistakes are encouraged!
- Topics are real-world. There’s a different theme every week from newspapers, menus, short stories, and more.
- There’s no homework. Well, maybe a little reading – and you're encouraged to build a notebook from your class and reading experience.
We offer classes for every level.
- Beginner: No prior experience in Italian.
- Advanced Beginner: Some prior exposure to Italian – 100-250 word vocabulary – knowledge of some present-tense regular verbs.
- Intermediate: Vocabulary over 250 words – knowledge of present regular and irregular verbs; can carry on simple conversations in Italian using the present, the past, and the future tense.
- Advanced: Vocabulary over 500 words – fluent in normal conversation at native speed. This is a special, ongoing class that features a different linguistic and cultural focus each session.
Classes are affordable.
- Tuition varies according to the length of each course.
- 8-week classes are $310. You can pay online
- 12-week classes are $435. You can pay online
- A non-refundable deposit of $150 is due when you register.
The balance is due at the first class meeting.
Classes are easy to get to.
- We’re located at 135 Lamartine Street, Jamaica Plain, MA.
- MBTA Orange Line just a few steps away from Stony Brook Station.
- Evening parking is available on the street.